Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Run Disney

Most people don’t associate Disney World with athletics at all, let alone a race or marathon. However every year Disney hosts many various marathons, races and sporting events on property.
Disney Sports


The link above can give you a taste of what Disney has to offer.
I had the incredible opportunity to Run in one of Disney’s races in 2007: Disney’s Tower of Terror 6.5k and the experience was one that I will cherish forever.


I don’t run. Never have and was always the kid in gym class who walked the mile. I never had it in me , but leave it to Disney to light a fire in me to want to run. I saw a link on their website for a race at night through MGM, that  would end with a party in the park into the wee hours.
I showed my hubby and cousin and we couldn’t pass it up. So I started to train like crazy and did a lazy persons guide to running a 5k. I ran every single day without fail and had that cool race and experience ahead of me. We ended up having 6 people run the race that year.


October arrived way too fast and we were soon headed to sunny Florida for a short weekend visit.




The day of the race was the longest of my life. I was nervous, anxious and excited all at the same time and being honest felt completely unprepared for that night.


One thing I did learn was Disney makes running fun! Seriously the check-in alone was an event filled with helpful cast members and volunteers. There were 2 check-in times one on Friday night and one the morning of the race at Pleasure Island. So we all got up and went over to check-in. I will admit it was kind of cool to see my name on the registration board – I was running 4 miles! Me –the lazy one who couldn’t even walk a mile.






























We got our welcome packet which included race night instructions; our bib numbers a pin and commemorative tee-shirts.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally, the day was coming to a close and it was time to get ready to go. It was rainy but we didn’t really care and we headed to MGM early to report and stretch. When we arrived at the parking lot it was full!! I was actually shocked that many people were interested in running a race in Disney.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As we hung around in the parking lot stretching the sun began to set and the darkness began to set in. It was hard to believe we were running at night.
 
















I remember we hung around for what felt like hours there waiting for the signals to move closer to the start. We geared up and got out ipods ready to go. I had the same track for months now…since I first started training. I couldn’t bear the thought of changing the music that had gotten me this far.
















We saw the start line and panic started to set in for me – what the heck was I thinking? I looked around at all these athletes and runners and thought I had no business being there. But I was and had no choice but to run and run and run.


Soon the 13k runners were set to start the race…they went first and it was a exciting moment to see that enormous crowd begin to run together. Next the rest of us moved up to our start location. I looked around at the faces of everyone and could see the energy building. I glanced over at my husband and cousin and kind of gave them a frightened grin.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Let me set the scene for you.....



Sunset Boulevard, 1994


On a night like this, long ago, a young movie actress named Shirley Malone and her husband checked into the Hollywood Tower Hotel. They laced up their shoes and went on a 13K run, knowing little of the nightmare into which their path would lead. For Shirley and her husband disappeared that night into a land of both shadows and substance, of things and ideas. The jogging trails of yesteryear are opening again, but this time they are opening for you. In this act, you are the star. What will be your fate as you brave the same path that led Shirley and her husband directly into, The Twilight Zone®.


Bang!!! A huge confetti canon went off and so were we. Again I was met with a strange feeling of running with hundreds of others and we were so close together at the start it was sort of overwhelming.




















I remember everything about that race from start to finish. And the one thing that stands out in my mind is how incredibly cool it was for me to be running through the park and roads of Disney.


We ran out the exit where cars were normally lined up to enter the park for the day.
We ran out the entrance towards the main highway into Disney.
I recall the first mile being so great and easy of course. My cousin and I ran this mile together and I remember we just kept cheering one another on and it felt so great.
I even remember getting emotional seeing some other people running with cancer ribbons on and memory shorts for family members.


The next thing I remember we were on the main road for Disney and I was literally running towards those giant arches you drive under every trip! My first thought was holy cow this is awesome! Really it was quit the experience and then the cars were driving by and honking and screaming for all the runners.




As I ran alone I hit the corner to enter the park where everyone was watching and waiting and I made the turn and just ran up the street and saw the Sorcerer’s hat – all lit up and bright. All I heard was yelling and cheering and camera’s going off. I tried to look for family but was so focused on not tripping. lol




















I did see my mother and father in law and that was a great feeling. I was on a power trip I think because I just kept jogging and running away. We hit the hat and underneath was a live band which was playing great music...it filled the park.


Next we ran down towards muppet courtyard which was empty at that point and down towards the new san Francisco street. We ran down Ny street and towards the Lights Motor action. We actually ran into the attraction which was very cool. They had a video on everyone running by so we saw ourselves on the big screen.


Next back up NY street and into the backlot section. At this point I was nearing mile 3...end in sight! They had people yelling the times out at each mile but I kept my eye on my training watch.




We got to run through the costume building on the backlot tour! Now I wish I had my camera!! I stopped and enjoyed this part as I would never be walking through here again.




We finally made our way back to Hollywood Blvd and turned  – and we went back down the main street toward the front of the park again. my family saw me here and took pics but I didn’t see them. It was so loud and busy here - the majority of the fans were here and at the end of the race.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We ran UP HILL towards Fantasmic theater – another cool moment,. but not time to stop as I was near the end.....4 miles in sight. Why I do not know they saved the hills for last is beyond me but it was killer and took all my strength to run up those hills but finally!!!....the hill were done and I heard loud cheers and speakers and flashes of cameras.


This was the hardest part of the race but one cast member made me push through it. During the race there were cast members when no one else was around screaming and cheering for you with mickey hands.
As I was running up that hill one cast member was there and yelling- you're doing it!! look at how far you've come. If I wasn't running so much I'd be crying from the emotional impact of that.


i hit the finish line – which was a blur – I had just run 4 miles straight.
I stopped and just was in disbelief my mind was spinning.
I ran a Disney race......


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and I have the medal to prove it.
 
The reason for this post now is that I have a new race in sight and this one is a doozy.




Disney's Wine and Dine Weekend


Disney’s Wine and Dine weekend 2010. Half marathon….that’s right you read it…13 miles. Well unless I can convince a friend to do the relay with me then it would be a bit less.

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me want to do this EVEN MORE!!!! ahhhh I can't believe they had you run up the fantasmic hill that's HORRIBLE. It sucks to even WALK that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do ti so badly after reading this. Its a tough experience but one that makes you feel so awesome after finishing. Operations Team DB's commence :)

    ReplyDelete