Sunday, December 13, 2009

Why are you going again?

That question is one I've heard a hundred times over the years. As the saying goes: If I had a quarter for everytime..... I'd have some pretty decent pocket change that's all I have to say.


It never fails, when I tell someone I'm headed to the house of the mouse.

You're going to Disney again?
YES.

That is always the answer I give and then I'm met with these glaring eyes and a chuckle or two.

Truth be known Disney fans really need a strong backbone to deal with the rolling eyes, ridiculous comments or rude remarks. We are a strong group who has learned how to respond to those who mock us. Ignore them.
People just don't get the obsession or even the fondness of Walt Disney World.

It's not like I expect everyone to love the place as much as I do, or to even want to travel there past their teenage years.  Heck I do on ocassion travel to other places. But I do wish they were able, just even for a moment, to be open-minded about my love.

Do I ask them why they are going to the beach again for 3rd time this summer? Do I ask why they are spending money to go to their 10th Yankee game of the season? And I certainly don't question why someone who visit the same exact restaurant on every outing.

No. I don't because I realize that people have a love for so many things and if it makes them happy - more power to them.
I wish there was some perfect way to let "outsiders" see inside the belly of the beast. I wish I could let them get a glimpse at what makes Disney so powerful and meaningful to so many.
I have had the opportunity to "turn" many of my friends and I suppose that's what I settle for.

So why am I going to Disney again?
There is no one answer to this and perhaps that's the very reason newbies and non-believers, can't grasp the madness. I admit some days I grapple with my addiction and wonder what I would do with my life if it weren't for my yearly pilgrimage.

The simple answer is - I love it. It makes me happier than most anything in this world. Like I said previously it's like a drug to me. The themed resorts, the amazing food, the caring cast members, the laughter provoking rides, the attention to meticulous detail....I could go on and on. It has all become an escape from the harshness of reality. So it’s only natural that I surround myself with that.

But why?
Disney reminds me of my childhood and the incredible memories I shared there over the years. It reminds me of a time when my innocence ran wildly free and I had no cares in the world. It's in that place that we can all be children again - no matter what our age. I find a connection to the past here, knowing that generation after generations brings their families here - it’s an experience that so many share no matter where they are from. It brings our families together.

I suppose this post could become all too involved so I can end here. The fans out there know what I'm getting at here.....the connection to the parks and the name run deep. There are hundreds of reasons we all flock there year after year, and wait on the lines, buy the merchandise, and ride the same attractions we did on other trips.
So my name is Sarah  and I’m a Disney fanatic but I don't go to Disney World for the rides.

I go because
.... I believe
....I know there can still be magic in the world
....I know it's ok to act like a child every now and then
...dreams can come true there
....I've seen a child's world light up when a mouse grabbed her hand to dance
....I've seen a parents cry when they saw their baby meet Mickey for the 1st time
....I've seen cast members take pride in their job - no matter how small it is
....because I’m inspired by what one man accomplished even after his death.

So yea. I'm going again.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog! Looks great too btw!!!

    I wrote this whole long comment that I lost so I am trying to recreate it LOL.

    People will never understand that's why I am glad being a Disney fan allowed me to meet such awesome people who "get it!"

    I love your "I go because" list. It's perfect.

    Disney IS so much more than the rides. It's the entire experience. If you don't leave property you're in the perfect world where everything is clean, everyone is happy, things look good, smell good and ARE good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina - I have to say that Disney fans are a great group of people. We get along on so many levels. :) Disney World just makes me see that there can be good in this world and companies can have pride in their product.
    I go list could have went on forever. lol

    ReplyDelete